CERVANTES ART SCHOLARSHIPS
BECA DE ARTE CERVANTES
A. CRITERIA FOR GRANTING SCHOLARSHIPS:
1. Proceeds from grants shall be funded only for the Arts Scholarships (gifts) toward the pursuit of college-level art studies, which are granted to students graduating from local high schools, or to art students who are already enrolled in college.
2. Scholarship Recipients must be planning to attend an eligible four-year school in Washington State. To be eligible, schools must be accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges (NWASC); or a branch campus of a member institution accredited by Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, or Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
3. Must enroll or be a full-time student taking a minimum of 12 credits each semester (2) or quarter (3) (fall, winter, and spring for a total of 24 credits per year).
4. In addition to leadership, potential and financial need (must provide last two years of IRS of family’s income); candidates must have a proven record of community service involvement & variety of volunteer involvement.
5. Scholarship Recipients must be a Washington State resident.
6. Scholarships shall be awarded to students based on a variety of criteria. In general, students are given awards based on academic performance, talents, and community service.
7. To apply, Eligible Recipients must have and maintain a minimum 3.2/4.0 G.P.A.
8. The Scholarship Recipients must register for an art education and get a Major/Degree in plastic, visual and performing arts: graphic arts, cartooning, architecture, crafts, dance, folk arts, literature, media, museum studies, music, photography, film, theater, etc.
To be considered for an art scholarship-it is necessary to have a portfolio review, be accepted for admission to university, score a 21 or higher on the American College Test (ACT), score 1300 or higher on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), and be recommended by your high school art teacher, and declare your major in the arts.
C. OTHER SPECIFICATIONS:
Recipients must be considered good citizens of the university and the community. Special consideration will be given only to statewide applicants.
Student must demonstrate progression and development of his/her talents.
Student must volunteer at least 20 hours a year for CCHA events.
D. GRANTS AMOUNT AND A MAXIMUM PERIOD FOR A RECIPIENT:
$500.00 minimum per year.
A Scholarship Recipient may receive a maximum of four (4) years while attending full time in a four (4) year college, provided that he/she follows the requirements specified herein.
E. NUMBER OF GRANTS PER YEAR:
The number of Scholarships shall be decided upon a number of sponsorships and grants acquired for this purpose.
It is estimated that two (2) to five (5) students will be granted an average of $500.00 each.
F. ELIGIBILITY OF GRANTS PER YEAR:
G. SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINE:
It is estimated that the Recipients shall be selected from one hundred (100) eligible individuals.
For Winter Semesters, April 1st
For Spring Semesters, October 1st
Scholarships are available for undergraduate students.
H. HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SCHOLARSHIPS:
Applications may be submitted beginning in January with deadline of April 1st, and June with deadline of August 1st for all scholarships; portfolios are required.
Additional information is on the application forms, which will be made available in the website, by calling (206) 418-6710 (253) 210-0134
I. CANDIDATES MUST PRESENT:
b) Previous arts background
c) Estimated potential for further development in the arts
d) Recommendation by a high school art teacher, or any teacher from the fields listed above
e) Academic records, including high school records or college records
f) American College Test (ACT) scores.
J. RETURN APPLICATIONS TO:
Centro Cultural Hispano Americano
3631 Brookside Way West
University Place, WA 98466-1401
K. ANNUAL ART SCHOLARSHIP SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
1. Select the very best of your most recent artwork
2. Prepare 6-10 digital images of your best work
3. Only images on a CD will be accepted. DO NOT SEND SLIDES.
4. Make sure you make a duplicate, one for you to keep and one to submit to us. The CD you submit becomes the property of the CCHA and will not be returned to you.
5. BA students who are concentrating in Art History or literature must also submit a sample of their written research.
L. PORTFOLIO REVIEW
A PORTFOLIO OF A MAXIMUM OF 10 EXAMPLES OF WORK, with 5 to 7 examples being in one area (drawing, painting, etc.) must be reviewed before scholarship application can be considered. You must send it by postal mail. Literature and History should also be included in a CD.
**Note: The applicant must meet all of the eligibility requirements to apply for the Cervantes Art Scholarships. Recipients must be enrolled as full-time students each semester they expect to receive the scholarship.